Case II: The United Nations: The Sea Beast?
Revelation 13:1-3,"And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. And the beast which I saw was like a leopard and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power and his seat and great authority. And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death: and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast."
The eyes of the world today are upon the United Nations. The vast majority of civilized nations are looking to the United Nations to solve the world's problems. People regard it as the last hope for peace in a war-weary world: A world that is dominated by satanic principles of force, greed, selfishness, ambition, pleasure, and international rivalry. The UN is hailed by many as the only Saviour of today's world facing its greatest crisis. President Eisenhower said in his speech to the nation, Feb. 20, 1957: "The United Nations must not fail!"
United Nations or United Nothings
It's an attempt by man to bring peace and unity to the earth by means of a world organization. Please note we said it was an attempt by man, because God was left out to begin with: II Timoty 3:13, "But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." . Matthew 24:7, "For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom." These conditions will characterize the age at the time of the appearance of the world power known as the beast of Revelation 13 and Daniel 7:7.
Take a look at the remarkable similarities of the UN to this last form of Gentile world power. The beast of Rev. and Dan., that will exercise such great power over the earth at the time of the return of Christ, will be on the world scene without men being aware of it. This great power will appear as the very thing the world needs to solve its overwhelming problems. Instead of appearing as a monstrous power to destroy the world, it will appear as the saviour of a bewildered world that is looking for a way out. Daniel 8:25 says the beast will "by peace destroy many." This last Gentile world power will be Satan's masterpiece for deception. There will come a showdown and we find that 10 nations who will be of one mind are going to give their strength and power to the beast. Rev. 17:12-13
Because of these facts the world as a whole (including the religious world) will not recognize the beast or the world power that brings the great tribulation upon the world. Jesus said in Luke 21:35, "For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth." A snare is a clever trap that catches its prey when it least expects it. Paul also gives the same warning in I Thess. 5:2-3, "For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction comes upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape." Think of it: "As a thief in the night." The thief comes while you are sleeping soundly; takes your valuables and is gone. This thing is going to take place in just such a manner. In fact everyone will be saying, "Now we are going to have peace and safety." Did you ever stop to realize that the whole stated purpose of the UN is to bring peace and safety to the world? Remember also that Daniel 8:25 says the beast will by "peace destroy many." Under the guise of being an organization whose purpose is to bring peace to the earth, the UN now has 189 nations [as of the year 2000] of the world as its members and supporters. Remember also that Rev. 13:7 says, "and power was given him over all kindreds and tongues, and nations." Isn't it a strange coincidence that the UN has under its wings practically all kindreds and tongues, and nations?
Moreover, here's something to think about:
- The beast will not be recognized as such, but will actually be looked upon as a deliverer. So is the United Nations.
- The beast will, to begin with, use peace as its chief weapon. So does the UN.
- The world will be under the influence of the beast. Isn't that true also of the United Nations and becoming more so each day? Let's note other remarkable similarities from the word of God.
- According to Dan. 8:24, Rev. 13:7, and 17:13, the beast derives his power from other sources. Now that is exactly the case of the UN. It is entirely dependent upon its member nations to give it power. Only as they support it and stand behind its decisions can it assert itself.
- According to Dan. 2:40-43 the beast, or kingdom, as it is called by Daniel, will be clay and iron, typifying dictatorship and democracy causing division and weakness. Isn't that exactly what has taken place between the Western powers representing democracy, and Communist China & Russia (and their followers) representing dictatorship? Also notice Verse 43 of Dan. 2, which says, "they shall mingle themselves with the seed of man; but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay." How true this is of the UN which is made up of 189 different nations. Isn't this also characteristic of the confusion and disunity that has prevailed in the UN among member nations?
- In the beginning the beast doesn't have power to enforce its decisions. We find 10 of the nations who are of one mind getting together and giving their power and strength to the beast. [The "Security Council" consists of 15 members-- five permanent members and 10 elected by the General Assembly for two-year terms]Rev. 17:12-13. The UN has its flag, its army, and is just waiting for the big powers to say, "I'll give you my power and strength." After many decades, America has signed over many of its military bases to the United Nations, and have implemented "Executive Orders" that empower the U.N. to wield power over the world as a sovereign government. The U.N. has even declared that it no longer recognizes any nation's sovereignty when that nation opposes a U.N. edict. The U.N. is therefore in possession of great power since it can make such a threate
- The name Babylon is very significant. In Rev. 17:5 we have Babylon, the Great Whore, Mother of Harlots. Practically every student of the word recognizes this Babylon as apostate Christianity headed up under the Papacy [Catholicism]. Her daughters are the protestants who are following in her steps in trying to build religious empires, and make a name for themselves. Now the second Babylon we have in view is the beast's confederated empire: The last form of Gentile world power (the U.N.). To begin with, we find ecclesiastical ("religious") Babylon, (Catholic and like-minded "protestant" churches) the great whore, riding on the back of the beast, political Babylon (the U.N.). But then we find the ten kings of Rev. 17:12-13 turn on the great whore and destroy her, Rev. 17:16-17, "And the ten horns which you saw upon the beast; these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire. For God has put in their hearts to fulfill his will, and to agree and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled."
- The word Babylon originated at the tower of Babel (Gen. 11) and means confusion. What happened at the tower of Babel was simply men getting together and saying, let's unite together, and build us a great city and tower (or civilization) lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the earth. Now the thing that was wrong was they did not seek God's face in the matter. They were presumptuous, selfwilled, and made their own plans ignoring God and leaving Him out completely. God already has his plans made regarding this old world and the coming kingdom, and the sooner mankind learns this the better off he will be. In the meantime, manmade plans and schemes are doomed to fail. The beast of Revelation is called Babylon along with the great whore because the presumptuous and selfwilled spirit of Satan that was in man at the tower of Babel is in them. It's simply man trying to make a universal kingdom without God. That is the spirit that dominates the political and religious world. The basic sin responsible for this is self-worship instead of God. It's the same spirit that was in Lucifer that caused him to say, "I will ascend into heaven; I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation in the sides of the North. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the Most High." Isa. 14:13-14.